Saturday, April 14, 2012

Work of Art videos

So this week as a class we have posted our work of art videos. And in watching all of them I can see the different views of compelling. There were so many different subjects done in such a wide range of styles that it made me stop to think about the different styles found in a classroom. After watching all of them I realized that I can work for weeks on something to make it compelling but someone else might find it as dull as dirt. which makes sense since everyone is different.
So in a class room we (as teachers) have to take in everyone's interests when making educational material. What may be compelling for me probably wouldn't be for young kids. I have to remind myself that often when lesson planning. What I try to do is put myself in their age and position and what would be fun and interesting.
 I do think I have found there are some "Universal" aspects to making things compelling. From all the videos I think there were four things that made each person's project better. First was adding a soundtrack. Music has the ability to hook people in so adding it to a presentation draws more interest. Second having a point of focus. Whether in a presentation or a film there has to be a focal point. It might not be the main subject but something will always draw the audiences' eye.  Third, the use of color. While black and white does have a space in art I think that adding color to projects will always add an attractiveness to a project. And last, I think the pacing of the project or video is very important. Too fast and people can't pay attention so they stop trying. Too slow and people get bored and start looking at other things.
 With all those in mind I think that just about any project can be more compelling even if it is a subject that not everyone is interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment