Wednesday, April 4, 2012

School Uniforms

While this week's lesson on fashion is more aimed at how a teacher can pull the compelling desire of people looking at fashion into their classroom the first thing that came to my mind was the use - or not - of school uniforms and how it can change a school's atmosphere.
 I have attended, work at, and visited many different private schools in my time and all with different ideas on how their school should dress. Growing up I attended one of the few private schools i have ever accounted that does not require a uniform. Their feeling was that individuality and creativity should not stop at what students do in class but should also be able to be reflected in what they wear.
 Later I spent a few years working at the other extreme when it comes to dress - a military school. There really isn't any room there for interpretation (even your socks had to match the kid next to you). Their feeling? that clothes shouldn't distract from the school atmosphere (this is one among a few other military reasons for uniforms).
 So do clothes really distract or add to a compelling student? I could argue both. I could argue that there isn't much inspiration in a grey uniform everyday. But there is also something very distracting in a skirt that is well above the required length.
 To me? I would have to agree with the uniform. while fashion can be a large contributor to turning something bland into something compelling I'm not sure if that type of compelling is right for the classroom. You should be able to see outside of the box and bring out yourself rather than your clothes.
 - Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment