Saturday, February 11, 2012

creating instructional materials

These past two weeks have been very hard for me to work on the project. I am a photographer and trying to put together 60 seconds of movement has been very difficult.

 It got me thinking about the types of instructional materials we use in schools. For the most part they are static images. If we think about the supplies we use through the day we come up with a list of pictures: textbooks, overheads, posters, worksheets, and on and on. I do like to incorporate videos into a class. They can be invaluable at times (like the student who wouldn't believe me that sand dollars were real until I showed a video of an alive one moving) but I would say 95% of the materials my students use are still pictures.

 So I wonder how I would incorporate more film into a class. There are obviously lots and lots of video clips on everything one could ever want on the net. Even in the realm of instruction videos (I do have a great lab safety video a few students made way back in the 80s). But what about things like textbooks. I was watching Tv yesterday and saw an ad for a little kid reader that was interactive. You followed the text with the pen and it would help you read it or show you pictures. It had definitions for the harder words. What if we could incorporate this into a high school level?

 I remember spending hours with a text from college trying to read chapters. I would have the computer on, my notes everywhere and a dictionary open. If that text were like this interactive one I could have the definition of an unknown word and maybe a little video to go with it right at the same time.

 Just some thoughts this week.
- Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment