Saturday, January 28, 2012

Photo Project

   So I sat around/ staring around today trying to think of something compelling to photograph. I had already decided to photograph the same thing twice (one normalish and one more compelling) using ideas from the videos and reading to change the first into something great. I decided to go for a walk around the gardens at Cranbrook (an art museum/school in Michigan). Braving the blistery cold wind I finally found this statue. It was one of the only ones not covered up for the winter and I first thought it might have been forgotten as it was tucked away down a wooded path. I would also like to ad there was no photoshop done to these.

Here is picture one. Normal (snap shot) picture.
I think its an interesting photo but fails at being compelling for a few reasons. First the background is far too busy. The tree branches jut out from behind it at all angles and don't add to the movement but just create chaos. Second I didn't do a very good job of framing it. The feet are cut off. Second, because of the plain and flat lighting there really isn't any mood to it. It is almost an archival photo. I don't get any emotion off the face of the cherub or get interesting feelings from the broken hands. Last, the exposure is a little too light in the background (the white snow is a little blown out). And the lighting makes it seem very flat, lacking depth.

Here is picture two. Compelling.
I tried many different views and framing of the statue to change the snapshot into something that spoke to me and this was my favorite. First, I would like to blame this computer for the exposure (on my laptop screen - where I have photoshop - the background next to the face is NOT blown out but a nice wintery blue) so please try to ignore how it blends in with the blog background that was not part of the idea. Second, the lighting here does allow for dimension. It brings the roundness of the face out and although shot with a very small f-stop gives it a nice sense of depth. Third, I really focused on the cropping. I took from the video the idea of reducing. The statue had a lot going on - broken parts, beautiful carvings, snow, vines, and more - but once I narrowed down on just the face I saw the emotion it evoked. Its very realistic looking - the cheeks and lips - and I like the double take a viewer might have to do. Then the gaze is off to the distance. I picked this specifically (instead of photographing it from head on) to make the viewer wonder what the statue sees.

When I think of the message I want sent with this versus the first one I think of a baby frozen and still. The first image (although in that one you can tell its a cherub) is a baby still in its normal chaotic atmosphere while this second one is more compelling because of its stillness.

Hope you enjoy!
- Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment